I've been collecting together some of the books that I like from a design perspective. Amy and Nicola picked up two very nice publications for me while at the market in Toulon and I also got a pile of old Penguins and Pelicans from eBay.
The Penguin By Design book that I treated myself to is also proving rather inspirational. It documents the development of some of those more iconic covers including some real insight regarding the grids and logos that have been used over the years. I'll be posting more on these at some point.
For my own records, I just wanted to note a few links here that I'm sure will prove helpful over coming months. One is Joe Kral's Flickr collection of Penguin books that you will find via this link. There is also another Flickr group for Penguin collectors to upload their favourites via this link. And while eventually they may stray into cliched 'shiny robot' territory, there are some interesting Penguin sci-fi covers via this link.
Looking at other publishers around the globe, A Journey Around My Skull documents some very beautiful books which can be viewed by clicking this link and there is also Martin Klasch here, The Book Cover Archive here, the delightful Grain Edit blog here plus The Graphis Collection which has some astounding retro work here.
I also picked up By Its Cover - a compendium of modern American book design - from the library alongside a very nice Paul Rand book. I'll certainly post more about the latter. Specifically there's his mid-century brochure for an American automobile company that I really, really like.
- ► 2011 (13)
- Augmented Reality
- Decibel Dingbats by Sokratype
- Sounddesign by Mueller,Weiland
- Studio Tonne
- Bicycle Built for Two Thousand by Aaron Koblin and...
- Form+Format's video for the Shlohmo remix of Robot...
- Music sales by format data visualization
- Enhanced screengrab of Toulon Library visualizatio...
- Toulon Library recording with WMP visualization
- Toulon Library recordings as waveforms
- Cymatics #3
- Music notation: suggested teaching methods
- Herwig Weiser's electrochemical sound-modules
- Silence in the words of...
- How Vision Affects Sound Processing
- Sound and Geographic Visualization
- Augmented Reality drumkit
- Record grooves under an electron microscope
- Spectrogram #1
- New sound recorder
- Source Book of Proposed Music Notation Reforms by ...
- Visual Complexity inspiration
- First group tutorial
- More sound visualizations
- Participation proposal submitted
- Ligeti - Artikulation
- Death of the Diner by Ed Nacional
- Books #6
- Vintage book campaign
- Letter to the British Library
- Central Library, Manchester
- Revised proposal submitted
- A selection of libraries
- Onomatopoeia #1
- Video to sound conversion
- Noise #1
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- The External Examiner recommends the Adobe Booksto...
- Proposal #1
- Books #5
- Cymatics #2
- Toulon library images
- The Marber Grid
- Cymatics #1
- Books #4
- Books #3
- Blog layout #2
- Books #2
- Center for Visual Music
- Alex Roman's 3D animation of Kahn's Library
- Mechanized Mules of Victory
- Kate Moross videos for Simian Mobile Disco
- Books #1
- Blog layout #1
- ▼ February (56)