22 February 2010
Toulon Library recordings as waveforms
I downloaded the recordings I made in libraries in both Toulon and Manchester as wav. files before opening them in Sonic Foundry ACID (a hardly state-of-the-art music package).
The attached images are some screen shots from the Toulon samples which provide a visualization of the encountered noise. But while I had the ACID software open, I started thinking about whether there's more that can be done with these sounds as a composition. The thing that puts me off that idea is that I want to do something that is cross-sensory [where a visual depiction describes an auditory form] and the whole 'found sound' thing has been done to death by people far more musically talented than I ever will be. Still, ACID - which I've used to edit sound for previous video projects - provides the opportunity to join, reconfigure and manipulate some of these recordings so there may still be the potential to do something new with these very raw samples.
Once I've done a little investigation into some of the different options in uploading playable sound files to this blog, I'll get the actual audio up here too.
- ► 2011 (13)
- Augmented Reality
- Decibel Dingbats by Sokratype
- Sounddesign by Mueller,Weiland
- Studio Tonne
- Bicycle Built for Two Thousand by Aaron Koblin and...
- Form+Format's video for the Shlohmo remix of Robot...
- Music sales by format data visualization
- Enhanced screengrab of Toulon Library visualizatio...
- Toulon Library recording with WMP visualization
- Toulon Library recordings as waveforms
- Cymatics #3
- Music notation: suggested teaching methods
- Herwig Weiser's electrochemical sound-modules
- Silence in the words of...
- How Vision Affects Sound Processing
- Sound and Geographic Visualization
- Augmented Reality drumkit
- Record grooves under an electron microscope
- Spectrogram #1
- New sound recorder
- Source Book of Proposed Music Notation Reforms by ...
- Visual Complexity inspiration
- First group tutorial
- More sound visualizations
- Participation proposal submitted
- Ligeti - Artikulation
- Death of the Diner by Ed Nacional
- Books #6
- Vintage book campaign
- Letter to the British Library
- Central Library, Manchester
- Revised proposal submitted
- A selection of libraries
- Onomatopoeia #1
- Video to sound conversion
- Noise #1
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- The External Examiner recommends the Adobe Booksto...
- Proposal #1
- Books #5
- Cymatics #2
- Toulon library images
- The Marber Grid
- Cymatics #1
- Books #4
- Books #3
- Blog layout #2
- Books #2
- Center for Visual Music
- Alex Roman's 3D animation of Kahn's Library
- Mechanized Mules of Victory
- Kate Moross videos for Simian Mobile Disco
- Books #1
- Blog layout #1
- ▼ February (56)