02 April 2010

EarMark logo











I've been working on a logo for the (mythical) publisher of this product. I opted for the name EarMark to note the reference of the project to hearing, but then the name also relates to "earmark" itself: to put aside or reserve.

I now have the above which pleases me as it has a shape evocative of the stealth bombers that influenced the previous core module project. It also works as a stylized letter 'E'. I'm also considering how I can build it under book cloth for a cover so that it is debossed or embossed with the colours defined as different layers.

Before arriving at this I had tried a number of options that were representive of the ear. Mainly the human ear but also some from animals. A lot of these started off looking obvious before being simplified down to just vague shapes. But I was also interested in this idea about how you might set aside something that is intended for a very specific purpose. Additionally I considered how this may relate to the use of books.

I had also suggested the phrase "dog-eared" at some point so began to look at the way that pages are folded to mark a particular place. From this I experimented with 45 degree angles and how this might work within a logo. I did consider using folds as part of this. But then I produced an early version - influenced by old paperback designs by German publishers like Rowohlt. That one is pictured below and was used a couple of weeks back alongside some Virtual Worlds research work. You can actually see the shape for the more developed version starting to appear (albeit minutely) in this early experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

Contributors

Followers